Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Royal Arch, Chautauqua Park - Boulder, CO - October 30, 2016

Where: Chautauqua Park Boulder, CO
Destination: Royal Arch
Type: Out and Back with options for short loops
Mileage: 5 miles with added optional loops
Difficulty: Hard due to elevation gain: approx. 1,400 ft

This was my first visit to highly trafficed Chautauqua park in Boulder Colorado. I arrived early in the morning so I was able to park at the very small lot near the Enchanted Mesa trail, but there is a larger area available for parking where the Chautauqua trail leaves off from. I was actually looking for this lot, but ended up at the other lot due to my gps directions. Because these trails are so close to town, there will be a lot of people on the trails and it may take a bit of time to find a parking spot if arriving mid-day.

In looking at the park map below, it looks a bit overwhelming with all the choices on where to go. I aimed to hike to Royal Arch for the day and planned to hike there and back, adding on loops as I felt up to it. There are signs along the trails as well so you probably won't get lost despite the confusing map below.


I started along the McClintock trail and took the most direct route over to the arch.

You'll catch glimpses of the infamous Flatirons between openings in the forest as you start your gradual climb up.


The forecast called for a cloudy day and the flatirons were encircled in wispy clouds that created a whimsical scenery for the early morning.



There are some signs that warn about bears in the area. I didn't see any bears, but good to be cautious.



The trail continues on until you reach a junction indicating the Royal Arch.


From here the trail takes a turn for the worst for a flatlander. Up, up and away we go.

The stairs below are what you'll see for the rest of the hike up. It does get pretty steep so take breaks when needed.


First you''ll reach the Sentinel Pass. I thought this was where the arch was at first, but it's a false summit. The arch is another .23 miles away.




Climb a bit more and you'll see your first glimpse of the arch.

Random person hanging out in the arch.
 There are a few spots to sit and rest around the arch. Walk through and under and take in the scenery around you.
View of the arch from the other side.

View while sitting on an opposing rock.

View looking outwards towards Boulder.


 Okay, time to head back. Heading down the way I came, I decide to add on the Flatirons loop when I arrived to the junction.



It's a short up then down gradual hike. I was hoping they'd be a good view of the Flatirons from here, but it was a mostly wooded and shielded walk with one little boulder field to cross.


This loop is where you'd go to access the actual Flatirons. A Flatiron hike wasn't going to make it into the plans for today, but it will have to be a hike of it's own in the future.


An informational sign.



I took the Enchanted Mesa double loop back in place of the McClintock trail. The Enchanted Mesa was a nice wide and gradual trail with tall grass. The second loop I actually took by mistake as I missed the crossover, but it had good views looking out towards Boulder.




Some last views of the Flatirons on my way back.


Overall, it was a nice hike and worth checking out. It may not be my first choice as it's not the quietest or most peaceful place to be, but a good choice when you don't feel like venturing too far out of the way.


Stats info from Gaia GPS:




No comments:

Post a Comment