Sunday, August 21, 2016

Passport Edition - Fossil Creek Reservoir Natural Area - Fort Collins, CO - August 21, 2016

Where: Fossil Creek Natural Area, Fort Collins, CO
Distance: 2 miles
Difficulty: Very Easy
Wildlife: Lots of Birds

This hike, as well as others I will post soon, is part of the Larimer County Passport to your Open Spaces program. (see link here: https://larimer.org/passport/ )

Fossil Creek Natural Area is a place I have been wanting to check out and now the Passport program gave me the additional push I needed to finally make it over there.

This is more of a nature walk than a hike with board postings giving you educational information along the way. It is a great area for birding. I only wish I had bought my zoom lens with me and a pair of binoculars. Next time!


As you can see below, the trails are all flat. This seems to be a popular loop for runners as well.


Some pretty August sunflowers are in bloom looking out towards the reservoir.



The first small loop called the Heron Loop Trail takes you out to a small dock overlooking the reservoir and indeed you will see some herons. This is where the first post will be near.

A sign along the way.



The first post is of course a Heron. :) For some reason the rubbings at this park didn't come out as clear as the ones at the other parks. Hopefully it's readable enough for submission!

 I should also note that you must remember to bring along your own crayon or pencil.


Onwards to the next post which is on the Cattail Flats trail.



Looking back you can faintly see the outline of Long's Peak in the distance. Long's Peak is a famed mountain and 14er that I hope to hike someday.


And here we are at the second post which is an Eagle. This area is known for it's bald eagles and is actually closed in the winter time for their protection.


There is a nice shaded outlook area here where you can sit and watch the birds from afar. 


There are so many here but I can't make out which type of bird these are without some binoculars!



I finish off the loop and head back to the parking lot where a group of sunflowers peek out from the small line of grass in the lot. Fall is my favorite season, but August I love just for it's sunflowers that bloom everywhere here.


And to finish off, the trip stats.





Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment