Saturday, June 14, 2014

Ticks

I went on a hike in Manorville today. I've done this hike so many times and yet today was different in that the entirety of the hike I was picking ticks off of myself. What happened? Was I just not aware these were here before or did they all suddenly appear with the nicer weather? I may stay off this trail for awhile now.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/06/14/as-ticks-take-over-long-island-suffolk-county-forms-tick-task-force/

So I am forewarning any Long Island hikers to be careful out there. I have never seen so many ticks in my life before. Luckily I hiked with leggings tucked into my socks, so I was picking them off my clothes, but I am still wary of any other places they may have gotten into. Before getting in the car, my mom and I took off our sneakers and there were a few crawling around in those! I spotted a tick leaning on the tip of some long grass while on trail, it's long legs reaching and grasping for a passerby to cling onto. I now realize the importance of using something like permethrin for prevention. In addition to the female lone star tick, we found many other varieties of ticks today of all different types and sizes.

Here is a video of a tick I tweezed off my mum. She was wearing shorts so am a lot more worried about her.






wondering how many ticks are out there
http://www.rd.com/slideshows/13-things-ticks-won’t-tell-you/?trkid=NL-HD-050312#slideshow=slide1

I'm not sure if I should be more afraid of bears or ticks.

To lighten the post here is a bear video that shows what they do when us humans are not around. Please watch and smile.





Safe Hiking!

2 comments:

  1. I heard that it was a bad year. Speculation is that while everyone was hoping that the very cold winter would control the population, the amount of snow acted as an insulating blanket protecting them. A bit expensive but I have invested in "Insect Shield" clothing by Ex Officio. Still found ticks on them but should help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip on clothes! Yea I was reading up on any info I could find about ticks. They seem to be particularly bad this spring. Hadn't thought of the snow season as a cause. Interesting info.

      Delete