Saturday, October 19, 2013

Dream Lake - Rocky Mountain National Park, CO

Location: Rocky Mountain National Park
Trail Destination: Dream Lake
Distance: 2.2 miles
Elevation gain: 430 ft
Difficulty: Family Friendly

Many people have dreams of varying degrees. I have always yearned to see the Rocky Mountains since the time I learned they existed. Things and timing fell into place where I got the opportunity to do so this fall. Unexpected happenings always occur though. This year we had the government shutdown that occurred just about the time I had planned my trip and all parks were closed! Can you believe such a thing could happen and possibly derail a person's dream? Some people believe in signs. If things fall into place that blockade you from doing something, or seem to be a sign that it is not the right route to take, it may persuade you to think twice about your course of actions or to give up entirely on whatever you were about to do. Does the world propel us to our determined destinies in ways that we will never know? I had planned to visit a friend out in CO and the shutdown made me have doubts about the visit, as well as various other happenings out there such as the major flooding that took place just weeks prior. Was the world telling me not to go? But I believe, if you truly want something in your heart, it is something that you yourself will make happen and not let outside controls determine.

So I ventured on with the intentions of making the best of the trip despite the shutdown and the floods. As luck would have it, the parks reopened during my trip and we were able to make a visit to my dream, the Rockies. Is that a sign, that things worked out? What ordinarily is only a 45 minute drive, was still a 3 hour drive due to floods, but we made it work.
Rocky Mountain National Park was every bit as beautiful as I imagined it to be. It was even more so, with the added bonus of the bountiful snow all around. When we looked at the map and I saw that there was a lake called Dream Lake, I knew that's where I wanted to see. Dream Lake encompassed all that I had hoped for.



The guy that made my dream come true!

The hike itself is also very beautiful with nice open views along the way. I was in awe. As my first mid-western visit, everything awed me. :)



If you're looking for a nice easy hike with great views with your family or loved ones, definitely add this one on to your list when visiting rmnp.


Link:
http://rockymountainnationalpark.com/things-do/hiking/dream-lake

Music recommendation: Peggy Seeger





 "The dream that all could live as lovers do. A dream coming nearer, though it always seems so far. But to die before we see that dream come true. Only that could break my heart."




No comments:

Post a Comment