Tuesday, July 30, 2013

NY/CT border - Appalachian Trail

Location: Appalachian trail Railroad Station to Ten Mile River Shelter 741.4-731.7, Out and Back
Mileage: 19.4
Wildlife: bugs! gnats, mosquitoes, spiders, worms, bees
Views: not many on the trail, the shelter has a nice scenic river

For this trip I did a solo backpack into the Ten Mile River Shelter just about 3 miles over the CT/NY border. GPS coordinates for parking: (N41 35.629, W73 35.224) This is just about 10 miles in and out, making it my longest backpack trip so far. On the way up to the start point I stopped in at the RPH shelter to drop off some food goodies for the thru-hikers: apples, almond butter and brownies :). The RPH shelter in NY is one of the rare shelters where you can actually order pizza from. It's in the middle of a neighborhood and looks to be in someone's backyard. See pictures below...







Here are some pages from the log book if you've never seen one...








For the majority of the hike to the shelter I hiked alone. I did run into my first southbounders here. There were a few of them. There isn't much scenery and it is mostly wooded trails close to neighborhoods. The beginning starts in a nice open field. This section of the trail also goes through the Pawling Nature Reserve, where some of the trail is not very well maintained. There were constant gnats and mosquitoes buzzing persistently near my ears no matter how many times I swatted them away! You will want a headnet for this time of the month. At the Ten Mile shelter there is nice river to sit and relax at. It is advised not to drink the water from the river however. There is a water pump near the lean to where water is accessible. It is along the walk to the pump that I discovered in an unfortunate way that there was a hornet's nest. I felt a sharp pain near my ankle like a needle stabbing into me. I never felt anything like it before. It was quite painful. I didn't realize what it was until someone later pointed out in the log book that someone had previously written watch out for the Hornet's nest on the way to the pump! I then decided to move my tent farther away from the nest to the other campground. I met 2 thru-hikers there named Wet Bag and Olive Oyl who had been hiking together for about 1,000 miles. Olive Oyl is a vegan which I thought was pretty awesome and she was also the first female thru-hiker that I had met so far. Wet Bag's dinner for the night consisted of ramen noodles with peanut butter, crackers and cheeze its mixed in. It was the most unusual dinner I'd ever seen lol. He had also gotten stung near the water pump. Olive Oyl's dinner consisted of avocado on fresh bread with garlic and other spices. That is one of my favorite foods as well. Another hiker at the campground was there from Maine on her first night. She was section hiking from CT to NH only with her dog. The Ten Mile Shelter has plenty of room for tenting, but is a little close to the road if you are seeking more solitude.


skyview on the way there






Filtering water

Border



doggie


 I have to say as a beginner the second day towards the end was quite tiring. My pack weighed in at about 24 pounds, which might be a bit much for one night. I also took my first fall, which happened in the last mile. Most likely due to tiredness. Luckily, no harm was done, besides a small bump on the knee :)

On my way out on the second day, I met Craisin, who accompanied me for 3 miles. He had thru-hiked the whole trail the prior year in only 4 months! He now still does section hikes and volunteers with AMC. I have asked many thru-hikers, what is it that made you do the hike? Has it changed your life?...etc etc. Many questions...in search of answers for myself. Many times, one of the answers given resonates repeatedly. The work in one's daily life is not fulfilling and thus another challenge is sought out in the form of the Appalachian trail thru-hike. This would be one reason I would pursue the trail as well. But I suppose I will only find the true answer for myself if I do the work myself and hike the trail too. How will hiking the trail change one's life? You won't know unless you do it. But as Craisin acknowledged, it is a positive change. It changes your outlook in life, who you are and how you present yourself to others. Many times I will hear and have witnessed in myself and others, how one's trail personality is quite different than one's every day life personality. The wilderness has that calming effect on you that allows oneself to relax and be more open and friendly to others as well I think. It will change your outlook and perception of the world. Give it a chance.



An appropriate fortune?




2 comments:

  1. hey dude! it's craisin. i just googled 'appalachian trail 2012 craisin' and stumbled upon this. i hope you are doing well. feel free to get in touch, maybe we can go for another hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey craisin! Good to hear from you! I could def use a hiking buddy and your trail wisdom. Going to check out your AT journal on your website!

    ReplyDelete